Am I anemic?

I have problems with dizziness, nausea and muscle cramps. Does this mean that I am anemic? As far as I can tell these are symptoms of being anemic.
Anemia is a condition where there are not enough red blood cells in the circulation. Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to the body's tissues. If you have low red blood cells, then you aren't going to get enough oxygen to your red blood cells. Since oxygen is needed by the body to create energy, the main symptom of anemia is fatigue. People with anemia feel tired all the time and do not have enough energy to do the things they can normally do. Dizziness or lightheadedness can be a symptom of anemia as well. However, nausea and muscle cramps are not typically symptoms of anemia. Thus, I think that you may have something else going on. Figuring out what is going on should start with you going to see your doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. A simple physical exam may be able to figure out why your are dizzy. Your doctor will be able to figure out whether you are anemic or not with a simple blood test. You should also have a test of your blood electrolytes specifically to look at your potassium levels. A low potassium could be a contributing factor to your muscle cramps.

• Dr. James Morgan
    Dr. James Morgan MD
    330 Northgate Drive
    Manteca, CA 95336
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043