ZocdocAnswersCan drinking alcohol cause anxiety?

Question

Can drinking alcohol cause anxiety?

Noticed I have a lot of anxiety the day after I drink a large amount of alcohol. Can drinking cause anxiety?

Answer

Alcohol has many different effects on the body. These include direct influence on mood and also major influences on the quality of sleep. Therefore, if you have an underlying anxiety disorder or other psychiatric problem, drinking alcohol could definitely make your symptoms worse. I suggest that you go to see your doctor, either your primary care doctor or a psychiatrist, about this issue. There are two reasons for this. First, if you have an underlying problem with anxiety, this should be formally diagnosed and treated by your doctor. Many people who have trouble with anxiety will actually turn to alcohol for symptomatic management, but this obviously is not a healthy strategy for coping with the symptoms. On the other hand, there are excellent medications and also forms of therapy that can help you deal with your anxiety symptoms, and your doctor can get this treatment process started for you. Second, it sounds like you may have a problem with your alcohol consumption. If so, this is also something that should be worked through with your doctor and a strategy developed for helping you quit or cut back. The long term health effects of drinking too much alcohol are very detrimental!