ZocdocAnswersHow do you heal Angular cheilitis?

Question

How do you heal Angular cheilitis?

I have Angular cheilitis and it is starting to get really annoying. It just doesn't seem to go away and when it does it always comes back. How do I make it go away for good? Is something wrong with my lips?

Answer

Angular cheilitis, which involves inflammation, cracking, and redness at the corners of the mouth where the lips come together can be both persistent and very uncomfortable. If you have not yet talked to your primary care doctor about your angular cheilitis, that might be a good place to start, as they will be able to help determine if the condition is provoked by an underlying medical problem. Many cases of cheilitis are causes simply by 'irritant' dermatitis (for example, chronically licking the lips), and these tend to respond to use of a good chapstick or other soothing lip protectant. However, when the cheilitis persists despite treatment with these agents, it is good to get your doctor involved. Especially when the cheilitis is limited just to the corners of the mouth -- called angular cheilitis -- there is often an underlying cause that should be treated. For example, angular cheilitis has been associated with iron deficiency and some other vitamin deficiencies as well. Similarly, chronic angular cheilitis may be due to a fungal infection of the skin, and this responds well to topical anti fungal creams or ointments. Make an appointment to see your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience, and they should be able to help you out.