Can having mono cause a hiatal hernia?

I had mono, but then it went away. Then I started to have acid reflux and chest pains and now I think that I have a hiatal hernia from how my symptoms are. Could having mono give someone a hiatal hernia?
There is no known link between mononucleosis infection and a hiatal hernia. The Epstein Barr Virus that causes mono infects lymphocytes (immune cells) does not have an effect on the stomach like that. A hiatal hernia is a condition where part of the stomach moves above the diaphragm where it is not supposed to be. A hiatal hernia prevents the esophagus from keeping stomach acid where it belongs, in the stomach. This causes acid reflux that is felt as heart burn. Acid reflux is very common and is treatable. However, most cases of acid reflux are not caused by a hiatal hernia. Thus, while it is possible that you do have a hiatal hernia, most likely you just have acid reflux. The first step to treating your symptoms is to help prevent them from happening in the first place. This can be done by avoiding the common foods and activities that make them worse. This include alcohol, chocolate, spicy foods, and tobacco. If this doesn't work, then you may require medication to help with your heart burn. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can review your symptoms and lay out an appropriate treatment plan. Good luck.