ZocdocAnswersWhat's wrong with my hands?

Question

What's wrong with my hands?

My hands always look like they have been in water for a really long time. Like they look kind of wrinkled and there are little skin bubbles on them. What's going on? Is the skin on the palms of my hands rotting or something? Is it a fungus?

Answer

This sounds like a very uncomfortable condition! I highly recommend that you get in to see either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist as soon as possible. Persistent skin symptoms like this need to get check out because the odds are good that there is an effective medication to treat the problem once you are diagnosed! Based on the description you give, of tiny blisters under the skin of the palms, I think the most likely possibility is that you are dealing with a condition called dishydrotic eczema. This is a form of eczema that occurs specifically on the palms of the hands or the soles of the feet. It begins as small blisters under the skin, and then these coalesce to form areas of itching, peeling skin. Dishydrotic eczema will respond to strong prescription steroid creams, which your doctor can prescribe for you, as well as good skin care and moisturizing. It is also possible to develop a fungal infection of the skin of the hands, although this tends to occur more often between the fingers rather than on the palms. Nevertheless, when you go to see your doctor, they will consider a fungal infection as a potential cause as well and, if they think this is what is going on, they can prescribe an anti fungal cream.