Can a head injury cause hearing loss?

I had a head injury about two months ago that was the result of a car accident. It was a bad concussion but the symptoms have started to clear up. But now, I think that my hearing is going bad. It is just like I have to strain to hear things that I never had to before. Can a head injury cause hearing loss? Is that what is happening to me?
As you know, 'concussion' is a name for a brain injury that is severe enough to cause some bruising of the brain tissue but not severe enough to cause overt bleeding into the brain or other more emergent problems. Nevertheless, the symptoms from a concussion can be very debilitating and can persist for some time. With severe concussion, patients may experience symptoms that last much longer than two months, as in your case. The most common symptoms of concussion include headache, dizziness, and trouble with memory or concentrating. However, there are a whole range of other symptoms that occur in some patients. Hearing loss or ringing in the ears or other auditory manifestations is definitely one of those possibilities. Therefore, there is a strong likelihood that your trouble with hearing is related to your recent concussion, although of course there are other medical causes that need to be ruled out. I suggest that you make an appointment to talk about this issue with either your primary care doctor or your neurologist.

Other Neurologists