ZocdocAnswersWhy does my shoulder feel heavy?

Question

Why does my shoulder feel heavy?

There is a feeling in my shoulder almost like it is heavy. Like it is harder to move than my other shoulder and it tingles a little in the same arm. What would make this feeling occur?

Answer

I highly recommend that you get in to see your primary care doctor about this issue. They will be able to examine your shoulder closely and help figure out what is going on. When you go to see them, make sure to mention if you have recently had an injury to the shoulder, such as a fall onto the arm, or a direct blow to the shoulder, as injury would be a potential cause of weakness and tingling in the arm. Also, let your doctor know if you have any problems with neck pain or stiffness. Sometimes, with severe neck arthritis, some of the nerves traveling down to the arm can become pinched, and this can lead to weakness of the muscles in the shoulder or numbness or tingling in the nerves of the arm. Finally, make sure to review with your doctor all of your chronic medical problems, as some of these may be associated with damage to the nerves. In particular, diabetes can cause numbness or tingling in nerves. Your primary care doctor will be able to look for any objective signs of nerve or muscle weakness or shoulder injury. Based on what they see, they can recommend further evaluation or treatment.