ZocdocAnswersWill my Osgood-Schlatter ever get better or will it always hurt?

Question

Will my Osgood-Schlatter ever get better or will it always hurt?

My doctor figured out that I have Osgood-Schlatter and that is why my knee has been hurting. Will the pain ever go away? It is making playing sports and exercise very uncomfortable.

Answer

This is a question that I am very qualified to answer because I too have Osgood-Schlatter's disease. It can be very painful. Osgood-Schlatter's disease is caused by a defective connection between the patellar tendon and the tibial bone (the lower leg bone). This defective connection gets inflamed and creates a bump where new bone and other tissue grow to try and secure the connection. It tends to form during the rapid growth spurt of your teenage years and continues until you stop growing. Most people with Osgood Schlatter's disease report that their symptoms get better as they get older. It is possible that you may have some pain later in life, but it almost certainly will be better than right now. There is no definitive cure for this disease. Most people feel better when they keep their knee loose and don't sit in one position for long. After physical activity, make sure that you cool down appropriately. Some people think that patellar tendon braces can help as well. I recommend consulting with an orthopedic surgeon. Surgery on your knees will not be necessary, but this type of physician can provide you with the best advice and any braces you may need. Good luck.