ZocdocAnswersWhat is the burning sensation in my knee?

Question

What is the burning sensation in my knee?

When I bend down or put my right knee on the ground there is a burning sensation and my skin feels like it is going to start tearing. It is on the outer edge of my knee where the feeling is. What the heck is going on with my knee??

Answer

I suspect that this is a problem inside the knee and not on the skin overlying the knee, especially if there is no rash or redness on the area of skin that is involved. Regardless, it does sound like you have some serious pain, and so I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss the issue. Burning pain in the knee like this could be from a knee sprain or from other damage to the ligaments in the knee. Make sure, when you go see your doctor, that you let them know if you have recently fallen or otherwise injured yourself. Also, let them know what your level of activity is like - what sports you participate in, if you run, etc. These details will help them figure out whether a knee injury is likely and help them focus their physical examination a bit more efficiently. Based on what your doctor discovers, they may just recommend rest and anti inflammatory medications to see if things improve. Alternatively, they may decide that you need addition investigation, such as radiological studies of the knee to figure out what is going on. Make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can!