ZocdocAnswersAre there any eye exercises that can cure a lazy eye?

Question

Are there any eye exercises that can cure a lazy eye?

I have a lazy eye that has bothered me since childhood. Are there any exercises I can do that will make it better? They tried a bunch of stuff when I was a kid but none of it worked. What can I do now?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that this has been such a persistent problem for you. The medical name for lazy eye is amblyopia, which refers to a basically normal internal eye structure which does not function normally for one of several different reasons. Unfortunately, amblyopia can be a very difficult thing to correct once you reach adulthood, as the brain and the eyes are much less adaptable than they are during childhood. However, I suggest that you start by going to see your eye doctor for a full evaluation. The first thing that your eye doctor will try to do is figure out what the underlying cause for the lazy eye is. A very common cause is strabismus, or 'crossed eyes,' which occurs when the eye muscles do not allow the eyes to line up properly. Most cases of strabismus are treated with a combination of special eyewear, eye patches, and eye drop medications. There are other, less common, causes of lazy eye, which can include cataracts or other defects that obstruct light entry into the eye; these are also things that your eye doctor will be looking out for. Based on what your eye doctor finds, they will be able to help you decide what the next steps towards treatment are.