Click to book now:

Could sleep deprivation be causing my chest problems?

I don't get as much sleep as I used to because I now have to work early and go to school. Lately I have chest pains and tight feelings in my chest. Could it be from not getting enough sleep?
Chest pain is a symptom that you should never ignore, as it can be a sign of heart disease. Sleep deprivation can cause many bad symptoms, but chest pain is usually not one that usually occurs. Tight feelings in your chest are something that should be looked into soon. There are a few different possible causes. This symptom can occur when the heart muscle is not getting enough blood flow. This can occur when there are blockages in the coronary arteries. If you are young, and do not have a family history of heart attacks at a young age, then this is quite unlikely. A tight feeling in your chest can occur because of a lung problem such as pneumonia. This is something that would only occur with other symptoms such as fever and shortness of breath. Asthma is a condition where the tubes that carry air to the lungs constrict and get smaller. This makes it harder to get air in an out. This can produce a tight feeling in the chest along with some shortness of breath. None of these possibilities are related to sleep deprivation. The best next step for you to take is to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your chest pain and come up with a plan to figure out what is cause it. Good luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!