ZocdocAnswersWhat would cause me to keep getting urinary tract infections?

Question

What would cause me to keep getting urinary tract infections?

I'm sick of getting urinary tract infections. I'm a 26 year old female and otherwise perfectly healthy. Could it be from sex? I keep getting them like one every two months.

Answer

I am really sorry to hear that you are having such trouble with urinary tract infections. Unfortunately, urine infections are very common in young women, even when they are otherwise completely healthy. The reason for this is that the urethra (the tube that conducts urine from the bladder) is short, and bacteria can easy get in and climb up into the bladder. However, if you are having an infection every month or two, it is definitely time to talk to either your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor to see if there is something that can be done. In addition to reviewing basic preventative measures with you, which include good hygiene when using the bathroom (wiping front to back) and drinking lots of water, your doctor may also want to discuss the possibility of prophylactic antibiotics, which are antibiotics that you take to prevent an infection rather than taking them after getting the infection. In particular, since urine infections are commonly associated with have sex, one excellent strategy that often works for many women is to take a single dose of an antibiotic medication right after any episode of sexual intercourse. Talk to your doctor, however, to see if this is a strategy that might be appropriate for you.