Would taking Verapamil cure my chest pains?

I've got chest pains and my doc said that Verapamil might help. Is it good for chest pains? It said online it is a high blood pressure medicine.
The answer to your question depends on why you are having chest pains. verapamil is a type of medication that decreases how much work the heart has to do. By doing this it lowers blood pressure. Since Verapamil decreases the work load of the heart, it also reduces the amount of oxygen the heart needs to function. People that have chest pain because of blockages in their coronary arteries develop their pain because the heart tissue is not getting enough blood flow. Verapamil is a medication that can decrease the amount of blood the heart needs, and increase some flow to the heart muscle through the coronary arteries. Thus, verapamil may help your chest pain, but only if you have coronary artery disease. If you do have coronary artery disease, you should consider some of the other more advanced options to help your chest pain. Today there are stents and surgical options (such as bypass surgery) which are better long term options than verapamil. These decisions on what is best for you should be made by a specialist. Therefore, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. The two of you can discuss your symptoms and make a plan to figure out what the best next step is for your chest pain and your overall heart health.

Other Cardiologists