Can you spread an STD by kissing?

My girlfriend had chlamydia before we started dating. Could I get it if I kiss her? Can you get an STD from kissing?
The vast majority of sexually transmitted infections cannot be spread through kissing. One exception may be the herpes simplex virus that causes cold sores. During an active cold sore, kissing can spread the virus from one person to another. If your girlfriend had chlamydia, then I imagine that she was treated for it with antibiotics. If she was, then there it is very unlikely that the infection could still be spread. Even if she has not been treated, you can't spread the infection through kissing. You can spread it through unprotected sexual intercourse. If your girlfriend has not been treated, then I encourage you to encourage her to get treated. In the mean time, you should use a condom every time you have sex. There is no need to worry about kissing. If you develop symptoms such as burning with urination or discharge from your penis, then you should schedule an appointment to see your primary care physician. This is because these symptoms could be a sign that you have a sexually transmitted infection. Your doctor will perform a simple urine test that can tell what kind of infection that you have. Your doctor will also probably treat you with antibiotics. Good luck.