What is wrong with my heel?

I woke up with really bad pain in my left heel. No injury or anything to explain it. Feels like it is in the muscle under the bone and in the bone too. Anything that could just cause sudden pain like that?
I definitely recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. There are several common causes of bad pain in the part of the heel that you are describing. Your doctor can take a look at the foot and help figure out what the likely cause is. Although relatively rare, stress fractures of the bones in the feet do occur and they can be very painful. Most of the time these happen in people who have low bone density or in people who engage in very vigorous physical activity, such as long distance running. If your doctor things you have a injury-fracture-1093">fracture, they will want to get an x-ray to take a look. Another more common possibility is something called plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the connective tissue that is right in front of the heel bone. This is essentially an 'over use' strain injury of the foot, caused most often by shoes that are not supportive, by standing on your feet for a long time, or by flat arches. If you are diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, your doctor can recommend anti inflammatory medications, as well as some stretching exercises to help relieve the pain.

• Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251