ZocdocAnswersWhat will happen after I have my cyst removed?

Question

What will happen after I have my cyst removed?

I am going in to have a cyst removed on my wrist this week. What will happen afterwards? Will it prevent the cyst from coming back or will it just remove the one I have?

Answer

The most common type of cyst in the wrist area is a ganglion cyst, which is a benign fluid filled growth that comes off of the tissue that surrounds the tendons in the wrist. Many times, ganglion cysts do not need to be removed because the remain small or even sometimes spontaneously resolve. However, if they grow large they may become very painful or be a big cosmetic problem. In these cases, they do often need to be removed. Unfortunately, ganglion cysts can be difficult to remove, because they often have small tentacle-like projections that need to be identified and removed completely. If these projections are not removed, there is relatively higher chance that the cyst will eventually grow back rather than being permanently removed. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with the surgeon who will be removing the cyst. They will be able to explain the procedure to you in detail and, in particular, they will be able to explain to you what the risk is that the cyst will growth back later after the procedure and what the recovery time will be.