ZocdocAnswersCan panic attacks cause nausea?

Question

Can panic attacks cause nausea?

Sometimes I have panic attacks. And sometimes I get nauseous too but it isn't always at the same time. Are they caused by the same thing? Can a panic attack give you nausea too?

Answer

Panic attacks, as you know, are very disturbing episodes of overwhelming anxiety, often accompanied by a whole range of physical symptoms, which can include nausea, blurry vision, sweating, dizziness, and racing heart beat. Nausea is one of the most common symptoms associated with panic attacks, and most people who have them will endorse a feeling of nausea. If you are having regular panic attacks with significant symptoms, this is definitely something that you should talk to your primary care doctor or psychiatrist about. There are very effective medications that can be used both to prevent panic attacks and also to control the symptoms when the do occur and, if you have not talked to a doctor about these medications yet, you should do so as soon as possible. At the same time, there are many other potential medical causes for nausea, and these also need to be investigated in your case, especially since you say that sometimes you have nausea without having other symptoms of a panic attack. Your primary care doctor will be able to perform a complete medical checkup and help you figure out if there is something going on that needs further testing or treatment. Get in to see your doctor as soon as you can.