Are there any medications that will help with irritable bowel syndrome?

From everything I can read about I think I have irritable bowel syndrome. I don't know what to do about it though? Is there a medication you can take that will fix it?
Irritable bowel syndrome is a very common and difficult to deal with condition. The symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome include abdominal pain that comes and goes and is often relieved after defecation. It can be associated with nausea, diarrhea, feelings of bloating, and even constipation. The symptoms usually come and go and are not always present. Irritable bowel syndrome is a diagnosis of exclusion. This means that there is no test to confirm that it is there. Your doctor needs to rule out other conditions that cause similar symptoms first before give you the diagnosis if irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). There are few over the counter medications that help with IBS. The choice of prescription medication depends on what your dominant symptom is (diarrhea or constipation). Newer medications such as the antibiotic rifaximin have shown some promise. Eating a diet higher in fiber has helped some people with their symptoms. Finally, the symptoms are often tied closely to the overall emotional state. Thus fixing any mood disturbances or depression can often help symptoms. The best physician for you to see about this problem is your primary care physician. He or she can listen to your symptoms, and perform a workup to exclude other conditions that could be causing your symptoms.