ZocdocAnswersIs Mobic a good idea if I have arthritis?

Question

Is Mobic a good idea if I have arthritis?

I'm 47 years old and I've started to realize that I need to do something about my arthritis. I was just taking ibuprofen but it isn't doing enough. Is Mobic a good idea? I heard it can help.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with arthritis! The first thing that I would suggest, especially if you have not done so already, is that you schedule a visit with your primary care doctor to discuss this issue. It is important, prior to starting therapy for arthritis, to determine which kind of arthritis you have. For example, osteoarthritis (or 'wear and tear') arthritis is the most common form of arthritis, typically found in older middle aged to elderly people. It can occur in people your age as well, although it still tends to be mild. On the other hand, rheumatoid arthritis, or other forms of autoimmune arthritis, are much more aggressive and tend to occur in younger people. Ruling out rheumatoid and these other more aggressive forms of arthritis is important, because the treatment is very different. Assuming that you end up being diagnosed just with 'regular' osteoarthritis, then Mobic (meloxicam) might be a good option for you. It is in the same general family of medications as ibuprofen, known as the non steroidal anti inflammatory medications (NSAIDS). Most NSAIDS have similar side effects, and your choice of which one should be based both on cost of the medication and your preference, after a discussion with your primary care doctor about the various NSAIDS that are available to you.