Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have pain in the arch of my foot?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have pain in the arch of my foot?


The curved part of my foot hurts really bad. I guess it is called the arch. It almost feels like the muscle is going to tear apart sometimes when I am walking. What is this?


I am sorry to hear that you are having this severe pain. You should definitely get in to see a doctor about this, either a podiatrist or your primary care doctor, because there is likely treatment options available to you. I think the most likely cause of your pain, based on the symptoms you describe, is something called plantar fasciitis. This is a condition in which the connective tissue in front of the heel bone becomes inflamed, leading to pain particularly with walking. Your doctor can confirm the diagnosis for you with a physical examination although, based on your history and risk factors, they may also want to perform other tests, such as an x-ray, to rule out other causes of the pain such as a stress fracture or bone spur. If the diagnosis does turn out to be plantar fasciitis, your doctor will be able to recommend treatments, including anti inflammatory medications for pain, exercises to help stretch out the tissue in the arch of your foot and back of your calf, and proper footwear to support your arch and help the inflammation settle down more quickly. Get in to see your doctor as soon as possible, and good luck.

Need more info?

See a podiatrist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.