ZocdocAnswersIs my hip pain related to my gas?

Question

Is my hip pain related to my gas?

For about two days I have had a weird pain in my right hip that is accompanied by gas. I wouldn't think that the two are related, but is it possible? The gassy feeling and pain don't seem to be going away...

Answer

Since the pain and discomfort have been continuing for two days now without getting any better, it would be a good idea to see your primary care doctor for an evaluation to make sure there is nothing serious going on. I do agree with you that there is no likely connection between hip pain and gas pain. However, I am wondering if you might be interpreting abdominal pain as 'gas.' There are several causes of abdominal pain, such as appendicitis or a kidney stone, which could occur very low in the abdomen and might feel like they are radiating toward the hip. You doctor will obviously want to examine your abdomen carefully to make sure there is no evidence of one of these serious problems. When you go to see your doctor, make sure you mention any other important symptoms, especially if you have had fever, nausea or vomiting, changes in your bowel movements, and the like. Also, if you are female, make sure to mention when your last period was. Based on this information and the physical exam, your doctor may decide that additional studies are needed, such as radiological studies or basic blood work. Make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can.