ZocdocAnswersWhy does the top of my head feel soft?

Question

Why does the top of my head feel soft?

There is definitely a soft spot in the top of my head. What would make this happen? I can kind of push on it and its stays indented for a second but it does not hurt.

Answer

I am not sure what this could be. In children, the bones of the skull are not fully mature yet, and this leaves soft spots called fontanelles where the bones haven't yet grown together. However, well before adulthood, all the bones of the skull are fused and so these soft spots go away. One possibility would be that you have something in the skin of the scalp overlying the bones of the skull, and this is what you are feeling as a soft spot when you press over the area. For example, cysts under the skin can form anywhere on the body, including the scalp, and this might feel like a soft movable spot under the skin. Most of the type cysts under the skin are no big deal, as they tend not to hurt and they are not usually cancerous. However, if they become large or uncomfortable, they can be removed. I would suggest that you go see your primary care doctor about this issue. They will be able to take a look at the spot on your head that you have found and help figure out what it might be and, more importantly, whether or not it needs to be treated in any way.