ZocdocAnswersIs this pain coming from my ovaries?

Question

Is this pain coming from my ovaries?

How do I tell if the pain in my stomach is just a stomach ache or it is coming from my ovaries? It isn't my time of the month but I think it is the same kind of pain. How can I find out where the pain is really coming from?

Answer

Pain in the stomach is sometimes complex to figure out, because there are many potential causes of the pain. You should see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor to get help with this issue. They will be able to perform a complete physical examination and figure out what might be going on. There are a few types of abdominal pain that are very serious and need immediate evaluation in the emergency room. For example, appendicitis and ovarian torsion (twisted ovary) are two emergencies that often require surgery. Therefore, if you have any sudden, severe pain, nausea and vomiting, or fever, you should get immediate help in an emergency room. If, on the other hand, the pain is more like an ache then you can wait to see your doctor at your earliest convenience. Your doctors will consider many potential causes of the pain, including a stomach infection (gastroenteritis), stomach inflammation (gastritis), constipation, and gas pains. The will also consider causes of pain associated with your uterus and ovaries, such as an ovarian cysts, uterine fibroid, and endometriosis. Based on what they find on the physical exam, they may want to do additional tests, such as basic blood work or an ultrasound.