Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why does my penis ache?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does my penis ache?


I had sex a few days ago and my penis now aches. There is nothing on the skin or any kind of rash or itching. It is just the muscle. Can you strain the muscles in your penis like any other muscle?


Pain in the penis can occur after vigorous sex. Most of the time, this is not a serious problem, although it does generally mean that you should give the penis time to recover before engaging in sexual intercourse or masturbating again. If the pain is severe or does not improve, you need to see your primary care doctor to make sure you have not more seriously injured the penis. Also, another possible cause of penile discomfort, especially if there is pain or burning with urination, is a sexually transmitted infection, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. These infections are extremely common and easy to pick up if you have had unprotected sex. Other symptoms might include clear or pus like discharge from the tip of the penis. If you think you might have a sexually transmitted infection you should get in to see your primary care doctor right away. They will be able to rule out this possibility with some simple tests. If you are diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection, there are excellent medications that will be able to clear it up right away, although you will need to avoid all sexual intercourse until you have completed the entire treatment prescribed by your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.