ZocdocAnswersWhy does my penis ache?

Question

Why does my penis ache?

I had sex a few days ago and my penis now aches. There is nothing on the skin or any kind of rash or itching. It is just the muscle. Can you strain the muscles in your penis like any other muscle?

Answer

Pain in the penis can occur after vigorous sex. Most of the time, this is not a serious problem, although it does generally mean that you should give the penis time to recover before engaging in sexual intercourse or masturbating again. If the pain is severe or does not improve, you need to see your primary care doctor to make sure you have not more seriously injured the penis. Also, another possible cause of penile discomfort, especially if there is pain or burning with urination, is a sexually transmitted infection, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. These infections are extremely common and easy to pick up if you have had unprotected sex. Other symptoms might include clear or pus like discharge from the tip of the penis. If you think you might have a sexually transmitted infection you should get in to see your primary care doctor right away. They will be able to rule out this possibility with some simple tests. If you are diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection, there are excellent medications that will be able to clear it up right away, although you will need to avoid all sexual intercourse until you have completed the entire treatment prescribed by your doctor.