Is diarrhea only caused by things that you eat?

Can other things cause diarrhea besides what you eat? I have it right now and I don't remember eating anything weird.
There are many potential causes of diarrhea, and sorting out what might be going on in your case would be a good reason to go visit your primary care doctor! Most of the time, diarrhea associated with eating foods occurs when the foods are contaminated with bacteria that are the actual cause of the diarrhea. This is more common when you are traveling abroad or otherwise exposed to foods potentially contaminated with dirty water, etc. There are also cases in which diarrhea can be associated with foods without infection being involved. For example, people who are lactose intolerant get diarrhea when they eat dairy products. It is also possible to contract something called gastroenteritis, which is an infection of the stomach and intestines that can be transmitted from person to person and doesn't necessarily involve food ingestion. These are just some of the most common causes of diarrhea, but there are others as well that are more serious, especially if the symptoms are severe or persistent. For example, inflammatory bowel disease is a condition characterized by abdominal pain and frequent bowel movements that may contain blood. Start by setting up a visit with your regular doctor, who will help you figure out what is going on.

Other Gastroenterologists