Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is this ringworm?"

ZocdocAnswersIs this ringworm?


I have a round raised area on the outside of my upper ARM but its not acting like ringworm


There are many potential causes of raised areas of skin. You will need to see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist, especially if the area grows or persists, in order to get a diagnosis and have a treatment recommended. Ringworm, as you probably know, is a fungal infection of the skin. Typically, ringworm produces circular raised spots on the skin that are itchy and have an area in the center that is not affected. Ringworm infections are usually easy to treat with topical anti fungal creams or ointments, once you have an official diagnosis. Ringworm is commonly confused with small circular spots of eczema, called nummular eczema, which may appear quite similar, although it tends to be a bit more itchy and reddened. It is important to make the distinction, however, because eczema is treated with topical steroid creams, not anti fungal medications! Other possibilities would include psoriasis, which is another inflammatory condition of the skin, characterized by reddened spots that have a fine whitish or silvery scale on top of them. Finally, rarely, a raised spot on the skin might be an early sign of a skin cancer, requiring biopsy or removal. Get in to see your doctor for advice at your earliest convenience.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.