ZocdocAnswersMy hands are hurting a lot - why?

Question

My hands are hurting a lot - why?

A couple of days ago my hands started hurting bad. I had been working with my hands alot that day but as the day went on they seemed to cramp up, mainly in the palm area. I got no relief with anaprox or motrin. it eased up some when i wasnt using my hands but with the slight use of my hands this pain would start again. It even woke me tonight severely hurting. Theres no tingling just aching pain. It has happened a few times in my wrists. I've never had this problem before. im only a 43 yr old female

Answer

I recommend that you go see your primary care doctor about this. It sounds like the symptoms are pretty severe, and they are not getting better with the use of standard anti inflammatory medications like Motrin. Therefore, you need some help from your doctor figuring out what is going on and getting some relief. Based on the fact that the pain came on after working with your hands for a long time, I think the two most likely possibilities are either tendonitis of the wrist or carpal tunnel syndrome. Tendonitis of the wrist is very common, and it typically occurs from inflammation of the tendons caused by repetitive motions and hard work involving the hands. Although it typically responds to standard anti inflammatory medications, occasionally addition treatments, such as splinting, physical therapy, or steroids, are necessary. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition n which the nerve running through the middle of the wrist becomes pinched and inflamed. In addition to anti inflammatory medications, steroids and splinting can also be very helpful for relieving the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Make an appointment to see your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience, and I hope you are feeling better soon.