ZocdocAnswersWhen will I lose my voice after a sore throat?

Question

When will I lose my voice after a sore throat?

I've gotton a sore throat yesterday and was wondering after the sore throat is gone how long it would take me to lose my voice

Answer

Sore throats are one of the most common medical problems. They can be caused either by common viral infections (such as the common cold) or by certain bacteria (such as a strep throat infection). Sometimes, especially in cases of viral infections, the sore throat may also progress to a case of acute laryngitis, which is hoarseness or loss of the voice. However, actually most cases of sore throat do not cause loss of the voice, so I do not thing it is a foregone conclusion that this will happen in your case! I recommend that you go see your primary care doctor for a quick check up about this sore throat. Sometimes, sore throats require treatment with antibiotics, especially if there is evidence of a strep throat infection. Your doctor can figure out if you have strep throat by examining your throat and by performing some simple tests on a throat swab. If it turns out that you do not have a strep throat infection, then there will be no need for antibiotics. However, your doctor will still be able to give you some advice about what medications you can take to relieve the pain and discomfort.