ZocdocAnswersI had hair loss due to a sebaceous cyst. Will that hair grow back?

Question

I had hair loss due to a sebaceous cyst. Will that hair grow back?

I had a seceous cyst on my head resulting in hair loss. The cyst is better but I would like to know if my hair will grow back in the area of the cyst?

Answer

A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac under the skin filled with a cheese-like or oily substance. They are more common in hairier areas and in cases where they are present for long periods or if they become inflamed or infected they can result in hair loss on the surface of the skin immediately above the cyst. I am assuming from your question that your cyst resolved on its own and was not surgically removed. If it was surgically removed hair will not likely grow over the area of the scar. However, if the cyst resolved on its own then there is a possibility that the hair will grow back. Whether or not the hair will grow back depends on the extent of inflammation and possible scarring that occurred. Hair follicles enter the telogen (or rest) phase when there is inflammation present and then may eventually start producing hair again after a few months. However, if the inflammation was severe then scar tissue might have been deposited in the hair follicles, making growth of new hair impossible. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor or dermatologist to discuss your symptoms and the likelihood of hair regrowth.