ZocdocAnswersWhy am I spotting?

Question

Why am I spotting?

Is there any reason besides possibly miscarriage for spotting at 7 12 weeks pregnant? 3rd baby, 6th pregnancy...light pink spotting began today

Answer

Spotting is a very common symptom during pregnancy. You are correct in that it can be a sign of a threatening miscarriage, but this isn't always the case. If it is bleeding secondary to a miscarriage, you should expect a lot more than just a small amount of light pink spotting. This type of light spotting is common during pregnancy and often arises from broken blood vessels on the cervix. Blood vessels on the cervix can become slightly engorged with blood and can break easily. This type of thing occurs frequently after intercourse when the cervix is being touched. If your spotting progresses into frank bleeding, it is unlikely that this spotting was just coming from the cervix alone. In this case, it is more likely to be coming from the uterus which can mean that your body is preparing for a miscarriage. Regardless of how you are feeling now, you should schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she will want to perform a pelvic examination and an ultrasound to check up on your baby. The pelvic exam may reveal the source of your spotting and give you some reassurance if it is not associated with any risk to your baby. Good luck.