ZocdocAnswersDo I have an enlarged ovary?

Question

Do I have an enlarged ovary?

had a sonogram and the technician seemed disturbed by how large my ovary is what could this mean? I have irregular menstrual. and she noted that the ovary seemed to be on the uterus

Answer

It is difficult to deduce exactly what the technician was alluding to, so you should follow up with your physician to discuss the final radiologist reading of your ultrasound. However, it sounds like the diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is possible. PCOS is one of the main causes of abnormal ovulation (irregular menstrual cycles) and increased androgen symptoms in women. This syndrome is a spectrum of disease, but the primary characteristics include hyperandrogenism (symptoms of increased testosterone such as increased unwanted hair and acne), irregular menstrual cycles, polycystic ovaries, obesity, and insulin resistance. Since this is a spectrum of disease, each patient presents a little differently with a varying combination of these primary characteristics. Polycystic ovaries can been by ultrasound and usually appear as an enlarged ovary with many small cysts inside. There can be a difference between the two ovaries and both may be affected. So, it is possible that what the technician was seeing were polycystic ovaries and with your history of menstrual irregularity, may point toward a diagnosis of PCOS. You should follow up with the physician who ordered the ultrasound (likely your primary care provider or gynecologist) for the final read of the ultrasound, to discuss your signs and symptoms, and to complete the clinical picture to work toward a diagnosis and treatment options.