ZocdocAnswersWhat causes night chills?

Question

What causes night chills?

Sometimes at night I will have chill feeling I have no fever and I am not cold no goose bumps either. and I don't have any goose bumps, it is annoying and worries me

Answer

Night chills alone are most likely nothing to worry about. At night when we are sleeping, our body's metabolism slows down quite a bit. This causes the body to produce less heat than when it is awake. This can cause your body temperature to drop slightly and feel colder. This is not unusual. On the other hand fells of being chilled can be a prelude to fever or a night sweat. I know you mentioned that you are not having any fever, but I would like to know if you are having any sweats associated with the with these chills. Night sweats (especially those that drench the sheets) can be associated with serious infection such as tuberculosis and HIV or associated with cancers such as lymphoma and leukemia. Chills alone without the sweats are not generally associated with these problems. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to all of you symptoms and perform a full review of systems as well as a thorough physical exam. If any of this turns up any more information that is concerning to your doctor, you may have to undergo additional testing. If the night chills is all that you are having, the my best guess is that your doctor will want to continue to observe your symptoms. Good luck.