ZocdocAnswersI'm having trouble breathing. What is wrong with me?

Question

I'm having trouble breathing. What is wrong with me?

I have been having a fast heart rate, trouble breathing, shallow breaths and my finger nails and toenails sometimes turn blue for short periods of time. what is wrong with me?

Answer

Your problems sound like something that you should have looked into very soon. I think that you may have a heart arrhythmia. This is a type of heart problem where the heart beats abnormally fast. Heart arrhythmias typically come and go, but some of them don't go away. If your heart rate is too fast, your heart may not be able to pump blood as effectively. This could be the reason why you feel short of breath and your finger nails turn a bit blue. It is for these reasons that you should seek care from a doctor right away. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. He or she can listen to your symptoms, examine your heart, and get an electrocardiogram of your heart. If this is abnormal, then your doctor may know what to do next. If you are feeling fine at the time of your exam, then most likely your electrocardiogram will look fine. In this case, you may have to wear a heart monitor known as a Holter monitor. This is a type of device that can detect arrhythmias during times when your heart rate is fast. In addition, your doctor may want to get an ultrasound of your heart to assess its function. Good luck.