Why do my bones rub together when I roll over?

My hips have made popping and clicking noises for years. Now, however, my hips hurt all the time and it sounds like my bones are rubbing together in my lower back or hip area when I roll over to get out of bed. Am I doing damage to my joints?
It sounds like you may have developed some arthritis in your hip and possibly your back. More specifically, I think you developed some osteoarthritis in your hip and back. This is a type of arthritis that occurs when the cartilage between your bones wears away. This causes the joint space to become narrower, and bone to begin to touch bone in the joint. This can cause pain and sometimes joint cracking (known as crepitus). The popping and clicking sound of your joints was probably some abnormal movements of your joint that were causing the cartilage to rub away. Your lower back pain may be a similar problem. A condition called degenerative disc disease is where the cartilage between your vertebrae wears away and causes pain in the lower back. I think your next best move should be to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your hip and back joints and determine if there are any abnormalities there. You may also need to have x-rays or possibly an MRI of the hip. If severe osteoarthritis is found, then you may need a referral to see an orthopedic surgeon who can determine if you would benefit from an operation.

• Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091