ZocdocAnswersCould this be more than a back spasm?

Question

Could this be more than a back spasm?

My husband was taken to the ER last night I had to call an ambulance because he couldn't straighten his body out. When we attempted to pick him up to put him in the truck his leg went limp. Initially they thought it was either kidney stones or something to do with the gall bladder. His pain started at 1:30 PM and lasted until after 5:00 PM at one point it migrated around to the front only on the right side. The ER diagnosed it as a Back spasm but I never new a Spasm to stay constant for that amount of time. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer

It sounds like your husband was in a lot of pain. Pain so bad that he couldn't straighten his body out or move his legs would be unlikely to occur with a gall bladder infection. To completely rule that out, they would have needed to do an ultrasound of his abdomen to look for gall bladder stones. Kidney stones can be very painful. In some cases the pain is severe enough that people don't want to move in fear of the pain getting worse. This was probably not the case as it doesn't cause the legs to go limp. A back spasm can be very painful and movements of the lower extremities can make it worse. This could explain why he couldn't straighten out his body. A back spasm should get better with muscle relaxing medications or anti-anxiety medications. If the pain went away with these types of medications and did not return, then back spasm is possible. I think that your husband should schedule an appointment with his primary care physician. He or she can examine your husband's back and abdomen to find out where he is hurting the most. If an ultrasound has not been done yet, then he should have one. Good luck.