Book now. It's free!

Why do I always feel like I have a knot in my stomach?

I know some people say that when they get nervous they get like a knot in their stomach. I think that is the feeling I have all of the time. Why would I have this constant feeling in my stomach?
I would recommend that you have this evaluated by your primary care physician. This is concerning. While it could be nothing (this is simply how you feel), this could be a sign of a serious condition. Abdominal pain can have many causes -- some of which are serious. There are numerous organs in the abdomen or stomach area -- therefore any of them acting up can cause problems. Muscles, the esophagus (or food pipe), stomach, intestines, pancreas, liver, gallbladder, nerves, kidneys or skin are just some of the possible culprits. A knot type feeling could be caused by low grade inflammation of any of these. In addition, a mass in any of these could cause these symptoms. There are some conditions that occur not because something is wrong with the structure, but because of the function of the organs. For example, if the intestines are not working well, you can get irritable bowel syndrome or IBS which can cause this sensation. This should be evaluated. Your doctor can evaluate your condition by taking a more complete history, doing a physical exam and potentially do some blood tests. An abdominal ultrasound or x-ray or CT may also be done. Talk to your primary care doctor for more information. Good luck!

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N