ZocdocAnswersIs my cold sore healing properly?

Question

Is my cold sore healing properly?

Had a cold sore on my mouth and it healed but now there is a lot of redness where it was that won't go away. Is this normal? Is it a scar? How do I make the redness go away?

Answer

It's a good thing that your cold sore has healed, but any kind of skin change on the face can be very unsettling. When any kind of a break in the skin occurs, it is not unusual for there to be an area of redness (or erythema) as the skin heals. New skin is more fragile and delicate than the skin it replaced, and it can take some time for the redness to fade and the area to take on the color of the rest of your skin. Unfortunately, the only thing that will help this progression occur more quickly is time. However, there are other skin conditions that could give an appearance such as you describe. If you are concerned at all about the area, it would be a good idea to see your primary care physician who can then examine the area. Hopefully he or she will be able to reassure you that there is nothing wrong with the area and that it will go back to a normal color eventually. However, if there is any evidence of another underlying skin issue, your doctor can identify this and either recommend treatment or possibly have you see a dermatologist.