ZocdocAnswersWill I get a scar from my cut?

Question

Will I get a scar from my cut?

Got a bad paper cut at work on my first finger and I don't want a scar! Will it scar? Do all cuts end up with some kind of a scar or is there a way to make sure that they don't scar?

Answer

Paper cuts can be incredibly painful! I hope yours heals in no time. Your question about scars is a good one. Whenever you have an injury causing a break in the skin, there is potential for there to be a scar. What we perceive as a scar is your body's repair job. The factors which determine whether or not you will see a scar include the type of injury and how much skin damage is present; the depth of the injury; the location of the injury, and your type of skin. Injuries like a papercut in which the skin break is a slice--as opposed to the loss of significant skin such as an abrasion on the knee after a fall--will have a much less noticeable scar because there is not much skin to replace. Shallower injuries will tend to scar less than deeper ones (fewer layers of skin to repair). Injuries or abrasions on areas of the body with thin skin (the face, for example) may tend to scar more than areas with thicker skin. Finally, some individual people will have less noticeable scars than others. In your case, a papercut is a minor type of injury without skin damage, and you should hopefully not have a scar at all. However, if your are concerned, you can always see your physician who can examine the area and let you know if any further treatment or intervention is required to help the area heal properly and without any scarring. Sometimes vitamin creams can be used on surgical scars to help them fade-your doctor can let you know whether this might be appropriate for your finger.