ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if my doctor found a lesion?

Question

What does it mean if my doctor found a lesion?

I had a bunch of tests done on my back and one was an MRI. They couldn't find a problem really except there was a lesion near my pelvis. Now they are ordering more tests. What does it mean if you have a lesion on your bones or near your bones?

Answer

A lesion is a general term used to describe any type of abnormality seen on an imaging. The term is used when the exact type of abnormality is not known. Thus, there will be no way for me to answer what this lesion could be. In the case of a lesion near your pelvis, the abnormality could be any number of things. The first possibility is that it could be nothing. Not everything that shows up on an MRI as an abnormality turns out to be something that becomes a problem. If the lesion is outside your pelvis, then it could be either an abnormal tissue, or an abnormal collection of fluid. An abnormal collection of fluid could be a collection of blood (such as if you were recently injured in the area). Other types of fluid include cysts, and abscess. An abscess is possible if you have had an infection recently and are still having fevers. Abnormal tissue could be an area of inflammation or even a tumor. As you can see, there are so many possibilities, it is impossible to narrow down here. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss your MRI findings. You will get more insight with a physician that can look at the images. Good luck.