Click to book now:

Is the pain in my calf a blood clot?

Woke up with a dull, aching pain in my calf muscle. No injury I can remember and now cramping either. Is this a blood clot maybe? I just can't think of what would make my muscle start hurting all of the sudden like this?
Pain in the calf muscle can be have many different causes. The most common cause of calf muscle pain is a cramp. Cramps are common in this type of muscle because it gets used a lot when you exercise. If you wake up with a bad pain in the calf that goes away over time, then a muscle cramp is the most likely problem (even if you can't remember that happening). Drinking plenty of fluids and doing regular stretching exercises can help. Other possible causes of pain in the calf do include blood clots. While blood clots in the deep veins of the leg can cause pain the leg, it is not the usual presentation. Most of them do not have symptoms. Blood clots in the deep veins are treated with blood thinners. Those that do often cause swelling of the leg that can be painful. A dull ache can also happen when there is inflammation or a blood clot in a more superficial vein. These types of clots are less dangerous, but actually can be more painful. They are treated with anti-inflammatory medications and hot compresses. The best physician for you to see about this problem is your primary care physician. He or she can examine your calf and determine if an ultrasound needs to be done to rule out a blood clot. Good luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!