ZocdocAnswersWhat do I do now that I know I have a wheat allergy?

Question

What do I do now that I know I have a wheat allergy?

My doctor found out I have a wheat allergy. I have already cut the bad stuff out of my diet, but is there anything else I should do? Is there anything to do about the bad affects that have already happened???

Answer

There are two different types of wheat allergy. The first is detected by blood tests or skin testing by an allergy doctor that determines that you have a sensitivity to wheat. In this type of wheat allergy, symptoms can be very variable, from acute allergic reactions, to various skin reactions like hives or eczema. Typically the symptoms will improve a lot if you simply cut out wheat from your diet, although one caveat is that it is typical for people with one food allergy to have another food allergy also, so you may need to engage in further dietary modifications. Your primary care doctor or your allergy doctor will be able to help guide you through this process. The second type of wheat 'allergy' is something called celiac disease, which is a condition in which consuming a wheat protein called gluten leads to an autoimmune reaction in the intestines. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal pain, and weight loss. Fortunately, with celiac disease, most symptoms are likely to resolve completely after a short while, as long as you are able to strictly adhere to a gluten-free diet. Both of these types of wheat sensitivity do require regular followup with your doctor, so make sure that you see your primary care doctor or your allergist soon.