ZocdocAnswersWhat's causing my bloating?

Question

What's causing my bloating?

I feel bloated all the time! I'm a 27 year old female and used to only have this when I had my period. Now it is constant! What is going on??

Answer

I highly recommend that you go to see either your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about these symptoms! Any persistent bloating or other abdominal complaint like this needs to be evaluated formally by your doctor to help you figure out what is going on. As you know, mild bloating that fluctuates with your period is fairly common and does not necessarily require any particular treatment; however, if the bloating is now going on all of the time your doctor will want to think about a few different medical problems that might require treatment. For example, chronic constipation is a common cause of bloating. Make sure you mention to your doctor if you have had any recent change in your bowel habits, such as hard or infrequent stools. Another common cause of bloating is irritable bowel syndrome, which is a condition in which intermittent bloating or abdominal cramping tend to occur in cycles that are often associated with times if increased stress. Finally, some disorders related to the menstrual cycle may be associated with bloating, such as endometriosis, especially if you have noticed increased pain or irregularity of your cycles. Start by setting up a visit with your doctor today, and I hope you are feeling better soon!