ZocdocAnswersIs there any kind of relief for nerve pain?

Question

Is there any kind of relief for nerve pain?

I had to have two surgeries on my ankle and on the second one there was an infection. Now I still have pain because of some nerve damage. Is there any kind of relief for nerve pain? I really don't want to have another surgery.

Answer

It sounds like you have been through some difficult health issues recently. The best place to start is probably with the surgeon who was involved with your procedures. I very much understand your reluctance to have another surgery, and hopefully you won't need to. However, it will help to get an assessment of your pain and treatment strategies from the physician involved with the initial surgeries. Next, it would be a good idea to see your primary care physician to talk about pain management strategies. There are several medications that can be used to treat neuropathic pain (pain coming from the nerves), and hopefully one of these medications may help provide you some significant relief. In order to figure out the right medication and dosage for you, it will help to go over your medical history, other active medical conditions, and current medication list with the physician who will be prescribing this medication for you. In addition, your primary care doctor may also be able to refer you to a pain specialist. Pain specialists--as their name implies--use a range of modalities to help treat chronic pain and can be very helpful for patients such as yourself who have a clear source of pain but do not want to pursue additional surgery if possible. Good luck.