ZocdocAnswersDo I really have plantar fasciitis?

Question

Do I really have plantar fasciitis?

My doctor thinks that I have plantar fasciitis but it doesn't hurt if I just rest it or after I have been sleeping. Could he be wrong and there is something else wrong with me?

Answer

Plantar fasciitis can be very painful and disruptive to daily life. As you know, the plantar fascia is a thick band of connective tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot and helps support it. Because this inflammation and irritation is exacerbated by weight-bearing, it is often much less painful during periods of inactivity, ie after resting if or before getting up in the morning and putting weight on the area. From this standpoint your symptoms do sound like plantar fasciitis. However, if your are concerned or still have questions about your symptoms, you should definitely bring this up again with your physician or seek a second opinion. There are several other treatment modalities that can help with plantar fasciitis pain, including rest, massage, physical therapy, weight loss, orthotics in your shoes, changing the type of hoes that you wear, cold therapy or heat therapy (often done by a physical therapist), anti-inflammatory medications, and even steroid injections. Some people have plantar fasciitis because of an underlying heel spur, and treating this finding can often help control symptoms. Overall, it sounds like you may have plantar fasciitis, but you should continue to discuss this with your physician or another physician as a second opinion to address your questions.