Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why does my throat hurt where my thyroid is?

I have a weird feeling in my throat where my thyroid is. It is almost like it stings but the skin doesn't sting it is like inside my throat. Could this mean that I have a thyroid problem? Is that where it is located?
Your description of stinging sensation in your throat does not sound like problems of the thyroid. The thyroid glands are located on the lateral aspects of your neck (around the mid level of the neck down to the level of your collar bone). They are normally soft and often you are not aware of its presence. It is much more likely that you have problems in the esophagus itself or oropharynx problems than a thyroid disease. However, it is important to be aware of a couple of thyroid diseases that can cause pain in the neck. Subacute granulomatous thyroiditis or painful thyroiditis can occur in men and women at equal prevalence. It usually starts out as a cold or flu symptoms. The inflammation settles in the thyroid gland causing marked thyroiditis leading to a lot of pain all around your throat, jaw and sometimes extending to the ears. It is diagnosed by having your doctor to examine your neck and order appropriate lab work. If it is indeed the cause (and it is very important to figure this out), your doctor may recommend non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen to help alleviate the pain. However, the damage may be permanent. Knowing this condition is important as you will need to monitor your thyroid functioning and see whether thyroid hormone supplements are necessary. Hashimoto's thyroididitis is another very common autoimmune disease affecting the thyroid glands. One initially presents with a hyperthyroidism phase before becoming permanently hypothyroid. However, you would typically experience fatigue, weight gain, increased sensitivity to cold, difficulty concentrating, constipation, muscle soreness, and dry skin, nails, and hair. Please visit a primary care physician soon to establish an accurate diagnosis.