ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about the ingrown hairs on my inner thigh?

Question

What can I do about the ingrown hairs on my inner thigh?

I keep getting these painful ingrown hairs on my inner thigh. Doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it but they are starting to become so painful that I have to wear different kinds of pants. Would a dermatologist be able to help me?

Answer

It is important to see your primary care doctor or dermatologist to confirm that the condition you are suffering from is actually just due to ingrown hairs. There are other conditions which can mimic ingrown hairs such as cysts and hidradenitis suppuritiva. An ingrown hair happens when the sharp tip of the hair grows sideways or curls back into the skin. Ingrown hairs are more common in areas where the hair is coarse, such as your pubic area and inner thighs. Although ingrown hairs are a benign condition, they can become infected and need treatment. To avoid getting ingrown hairs you can exfoliate your skin. It is also important to keep your skin well hydrated with a good quality moisturizer. Avoid shaving when your skin is irritated. Always use a clean sharp razor and avoid going over the same areas of skin more than once when shaving. Use a moisturizing shaving gel to help the razor glide more easily over your skin. Wear loose fitting breathable pants to help lessen irritation. Again, it is important to see your primary care doctor or dermatologist to have your skin examined and have a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.