ZocdocAnswersCould I be pregnant?

Question

Could I be pregnant?

My period came earlier this month and I had sex with no condom soon after, now im starting to have lower cramps like my menstraul and sooooooo much discharge. im scared that I might be pregnant and breast tingling I think.

Answer

Any time you have unprotected sex, there is always a possibility that you could be pregnant. If you are currently more than a week late getting your period, then I would suggest going out and getting one of those home pregnancy tests. These tests are very sensitive and will tell you if you are pregnant. If don't have access to one of these tests, then they can be performed by your doctor. I will say that your presentation does not obviously mean that you are pregnant. Lower abdominal cramping and a lot of vaginal discharge (especially smelly discharge) often means that you have vaginal infection. The most common ones are a yeast infection, and bacterial vaginosis. They are not sexually transmitted disease, but getting them is more likely when you have unprotected sex. The discharge is often described as bad smelling. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBYGN, whoever you see for your feminine health. You will need a pregnancy test, and a pelvic exam to obtain a sample of your vaginal discharge to be examined under a microscope. If you do have an infection, then you can get the appropriate antibiotic. Good luck, and please do practice safer sex by using a condom every time.