ZocdocAnswersWhy did the skin along my lower lip break out?

Question

Why did the skin along my lower lip break out?

Woke up today with a bunch of little red bumps on my lower lip. it is the skin between my lower lip and my chin and it is all broke out. Are these just pimples or acne? Why did so many of the bumps show up overnight?

Answer

This could easily be acne or pimples. These can occur whenever pores in the skin become clogged with dead skin, bacteria, and other debris. For example, if you were recently working out (and sweating a lot), or have applied a lot of potentially pore-clogging makeup, these would both be causes that could explain the unexpected break out. This rash could also be contact dermatitis, which is a reaction of the skin to some exposure which causes inflammation. Again, beauty products would be the most likely cause, but there could be other potential causes, such as certain foods (citrus is a common offender). Finally the rash could be perioral dermatitis, which is typically triggered by using a steroid cream on the face, but could also occur for no clear reason. I suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist about this rash, especially if it persists or worsens over the next day or two. They will be able to examine your skin and help determine whether this is just acne or something else. Based on their findings, they can help you decide whether you need a prescription cream or other medication to treat the rash.