ZocdocAnswersWhy am I having pain in my back?

Question

Why am I having pain in my back?

Happens when I bend over or twist. There is a pain in my lower back and then after the first pain happens my back will be sore in that same lower part for a bit. What is causing this pain in my lower back? The spine or the muscles?

Answer

I definitely recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Low back pain is one of the most common medical problems, and your primary care doctor will definitely be able to help you figure out what is going on and decide what to do. The most likely cause of low back pain is strain of the muscles that run up and down the sides of the spine, called the paraspinal muscles. This causing exactly the type of pain that you are describing, and it tends to be treatable with rest, stretching exercises of the back, and anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen. Occasionally, additional medications like muscle relaxants are also necessary. The other condition that commonly causes low back pain is a bulging disc pressing on a nerve in the spine. In addition to pain in the back, this also often causes pain that runs down one or both legs, often also with numbness and tingling in the legs. Although different than simple muscle strain, most cases are actually treated in much the same way unless very severe. Start by setting up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible! I hope you feel better soon!