ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about my enlarged rib?

Question

What should I do about my enlarged rib?

The last rib on the right side of my rib cage feels like it has gotten bigger. If it isn't bigger I think it is def sticking out more. What can I do about that?

Answer

The first thing to find out to help answer your question is whether or not this is your rib or something else that seems to be enlarging. There are several different possibilities here. First, you could have lost some weight or strained an intercostal muscle (the ones that run between the ribs) that is making your rib appear more prominent on that side. Second, your liver is the organ directly underneath the ribcage on the right. You may be feeling or noticing a more prominent liver which can occur with many different conditions. Finally, you may also have partially dislocated a rib or injured it in some way, if you have had any recent trauma to the area. In order to best sort out what might be causing your symptoms, it is important to see your primary care physician right away for a thorough history and physical. Any other symptoms you may have noticed--and your doctor will have a lot of questions to ask you--as well as your age, prior health history, family history, and medications will all be very relevant in suggesting what this might be from. Of course it will also be helpful for your doctor to see or even image the area. Good luck sorting things out, and hopefully it will turn out to be something minor!